Our Nurture Department focuses on establishing, developing and maintaining strong relationships in a structured environment and comprises of six classes: N1, N2, N3, N4, N5 and N6.
In the Nurture department each pupil is provided with the support, structure and safe environment allowing them to feel comfortable and confident to learn. Each pupil has the opportunity to develop life skills, independence and strategies to cope with everyday challenges both in school and in the community resulting in a greater understanding of emotional maturity.
We have a strong focus on communication and enabling our pupils to communicate in a way that is suitable for them, this helps us establish, develop and maintain strong relationships with the pupils and their families. Each classroom in the department offers a safe, structured, predictable environment with consistent, realistic boundaries which provide both physical and emotional security for our pupils.
Our pupils experience a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum which is adapted to meet the individual needs of our pupils through engaging activities such as Attention Autism, Sensory stories and Drama Circles. We also set our pupils appropriate, measurable targets in all areas of their development to ensure the whole child has an opportunity to flourish. However, we approach every activity and situation in a fun, engaging manner as we want all of our pupils to feel happy, valued and stimulated during their school experience.
IN THE NURTURE DEPARTMENT:We believe each pupil is provided with the support, structure and safe environment allowing them to feel comfortable and confident to learn. Each pupil has the opportunity to develop life skills, independence and strategies to cope with everyday challenges both in school and in the community resulting in a greater understanding of emotional maturity.
This is how we teach and learn:
- Range of communication tools such as Makaton and PECS.
- Establish, develop and maintain strong relationships with the pupils and their families.
- Strong working relationships across each teacher in the department and the class teams.
- Safe, structured and predictable environment.
- We provide physical and emotional security.
- Consistent, realistic boundaries.
- Setting appropriate, measurable targets.
- Teach coping mechanisms.
- Provide a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum that is adapted to meet the individual needs of each pupil in the class.
- Engaging, attention grabbing activities such as Attention Autism and Sensory stories.
As a result, we have pupils who:
- Feel safe to try new challenges and are comfortable in their environment.
- Are happy.
- Are engaging in their learning.
- Are able to predict their day.
- Can manage their emotions.
- Are able to self-regulate.
- Have an awareness of what is appropriate in their environment.
- Demonstrate a range of coping strategies that impact positively on their daily routine.
- Have opportunities for their families to celebrate their success.
This rationale has been devised in conjunction with all department staff, parents and, where appropriate pupils.